John Q. Stilwell: Why I Support the CVL

By: Lauren Yglecias | March 31, 2022

Dr. John Q. Stilwell (Jack, as he prefers) is a teacher, lawyer, businessman, and cancer survivor. A native of South Carolina, Jack knows what it’s like to struggle. “I was a depression-era baby. We were all born into poverty. My parents had no money, but they scratched out a living.”

Jack attended college on a scholarship from the Navy. After considering a career as a Naval officer, he eventually enrolled in law school at Columbia University at the behest of his best friend.   

“He convinced me to get myself over to New York to take a law school aptitude test so I could join him.”

Jack and his wife Nancy at the Director’s Research Circle Lecture in 2018.

After practicing law for several decades, Jack enrolled at The University of Texas at Dallas to chase a dream of receiving his Ph.D. in Humanities. He currently teaches conflict resolution courses in the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences. That’s where he was introduced to the Center for Vital Longevity.

“I’d heard about it and was interested because of the title. I wanted to find out what their work was. I have plenty of longevity and I wanted to be as vital as possible,” he said with a chuckle.

Jack and his wife Nancy are both long-time supporters of UT Dallas and are currently serving as members of the CVL Advisory Council.

“Vital longevity really interested us. I got really interested in the CVL when Mick [current CVL Director, Dr. Michael Rugg] used to host these weekly lunches for the Director’s Research Circle and discussed his interest in Alzheimer’s research.”

Jack and Nancy recently established a fellowship in recognition of the CVL’s 10th anniversary. The first recipient of the fellowship, Hanna Moon is a neuroscience graduate student currently working in the Rodrigue and Kennedy labs at the CVL.

Nancy M. O’Neil and John Q. Stilwell, JD, Ph.D. Fellowship in Behavioral and Brain Sciences.

Da Yeoun (Hanna) Moon

“Having financial support, especially as a student from a low-income background, is the most helpful and meaningful support I can receive. Graduate students often struggle with financial insecurity which can significantly impact their mental health and overall well-being, so this scholarship was tremendously valuable in relieving some of these financial burdens and stresses that come with it,” says Hanna.

Jack says he hopes to create more fellowships like this in the future.

“I’m interested in UT Dallas’ development and future because I am a graduate, but that’s not the only reason. I want to create more of these small fellowships for the people who need them.”

“Jack is a long-standing friend of the CVL whose service on our Advisory Council is greatly appreciated. We are grateful for all that he does for us,” says CVL Director, Dr. Michael Rugg.

The CVL is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year after postponing celebrations due to the pandemic. If you would like to support the CVL, we invite you to continue the celebration by making a gift below.  

If you would like to learn more about supporting the CVL, please contact the Director of Development, Erin Dougherty.